Clinical Virology Laboratory at the Institute provides a full range of diagnostic services for the detection and monitoring of viral illnesses in both the adult and pediatric patients. The laboratory handles an enormous sample load and variety of viral markers testing. The laboratory has been automated to the extent possible, in keeping with international standards. The laboratory performs diagnostic services for the detection and monitoring of viral diseases for the full range of Hepatitis viruses (Hepatitis A, B, C, D and E). Quantitative assessment of viral infection in transplant and other immunocompromised patients (CMV, EBV, and BK) is also done. A BSL level grade 2/3 molecular diagnostic facility for HBV, HCV, HEV, HAV, CMV, EBV, HSV 1 & 2 and VZV is available. HBV & HCV genotyping are routinely being done. The laboratory takes pride in performing the following diagnostic assays for the first time in India: HCV Resistant associated substitutions (RAS) testing, antiviral drug resistance testing for HBV; HBs Ag quantification; Occult HBV diagnosis; Mutant screening for HBV (Pre-core, Basal core promoter mutations);HEV RNA Quantification; EBV Quantification; CMV and EBV Quantification from tissue biopsy. The laboratory is actively involved in the investigation of recent Influenza, Dengue and Chikungunya outbreaks in the city. Dengue virus serotyping by PCR & Real-time PCR based detection of Chikungunya virus is also being done routinely. The Virology Lab has been active in initiating teaching modules and programs in clinical virology. Emphasis is given to quality research and development of novel diagnostics, so that the department remains at the forefront of patient care. Recently, simultaneous detection of 33 different respiratory pathogens (Viruses, atypical pathogens) by multiplex PCR protocol was initiated. NABL accreditation was awarded to the lab in 2013 and this is the one of the very few NABL accredited molecular virology lab in India. The Molecular Lab participates in External Quality Assurance Program (EQAS) by Royal College of Pathology, Australia. The Virology Lab has made an exhaustive protocol for Needle Stick Injuries for healthcare professionals at ILBS. The lab also keeps a record of immunization protocol of the entire ILBS staff. The laboratory also supervises the unique Needle stick injury control programme through our website: nsi.ilbs.in. The ILBS NSI – website aims to provide platform for a centralized registry for needle stick injuries. The vision of ILBS is not only to create an institutional database on needle stick/ sharps injuries but to expand it as a statewide and thereafter national NSI Registry.One of its kind PDCC course in Hepatovirology has been introduced from August 2014 to train young budding microbiologists in this field. We provide opportunity for M.Sc. students from various institutions to observe virological techniques as a part of internship and observership programmes. Virology laboratory is also actively involved in initiation of nationwide training program for Microbiologist and technical staff as a part of World Health Organization collaborative Center (WHO CC) in Viral Hepatitis.
- Hepatotropic viruses(HBV, HCV, HAV,HEV and HDV)
- Transplant related Herpes group (HCMV, EBV, HSV 1&2 and VZV)
- Human Immunodeficiency Viruses 1&2 (HIV 1&2)
- Dengue virus
- Liver SOL serological workup(Amoebic liver abscess, Hydatid cyst)
- Special serological(quantification) assays – HBsAg quantification
- Hepatotropic viruses(HBV, HCV, HAV and HEV) by real-time PCR
- HBV and HCV genotyping and HBV mutation screen (Precore and Basal Core Promotor mutations).
- Transplant related viruses (HCMV, EBV, HSV 1&2 ,VZV,BK)
- HBV drug resistance testing by sequencing
- Occult HBV testing by sequencing
- Real time PCR for HBV - ccc DNA in clinical samples.
- Real time PCR for dengue typing.
Needle Stick injury protocol
- Post-exposure testing and counseling.
HBV vaccination and anti-HBs (titer determination)
- HBV vaccination at recruitment
- Determination of anti-HBs (titers) post vaccination
|HEV & HAV||2923||3612|
|Liver SOL (Amoebic & Hydatid Cyst)||380||356|
|Anti- EBV IgM, Anti-HSV IgM, Anti- VZV IgM||232||193|
|HBV DNA (Real Time quantitative)||2886||3246|
|HCV RNA (Real Time quantitative)||3841||4267|
|HAV & HEV RNA (Real Time quantitative)||140||143|
|Transplant related viruses DNA quantitative||832||989|
|Genotyping HBV & HCV||582||506|
|HBV drug resistance testing||24||16|
|RESPIRATORY VIRUS PCR||45|
|HCV RAV TESTING||05|
|BK VIRUS (REAL TIME PCR)||18|
|PRE CORE & BCP MUTATIONS ANALYSIS||01|
|DETERMINATION OF IMMUNITY TO HBV POST VACCINATION|
|Pre Employment Health Checkups|
|Tests done in Free Health camps-2016|
New Services & Facilities
- Multiplex Real time PCR for Respiratory Viruses and atypical pathogens.
- Screening for Resistant associated substitutions in HCV infected patients on DAA.
- Chikungunya Serology and molecular testing.
- Hepatitis Delta Virus Serology.
Details of the Educational activities (CME/Conf/workshop) hosted by the department in 2016 under following headings:
1.Laboratory Technician training program on “Laboratory diagnosis of Viral Hepatitis” under WHOCC
The department has started one day laboratory technician training programme under WHO-CC. The training includes lectures on Laboratory diagnosis of viral Hepatitis, Needle stick injury and biosafety for health care workers. This is followed by hands-on training on various techniques including serological techniques as well as molecular techniques for viral hepatitis. Five such trainings were conducted in 2016 and 80 technicians have been trained so far, from various ICTC centers of Delhi and NCR.
2.Hepatitis B and C Screening Camps
The laboratory is actively involved in organising free screening camps for Hepatitis B & C virus on various occasions at the Institute. Following camps were organised in 2016.
- Organized Hepatitis B & C screening camp on the occasion of World Liver Day on 19th April, 2016. Total 190 registrations were done for the camp.
- Organized Hepatitis B & C screening camp on the occasion of World Hepatitis Day on 28th July, 2016. Total 186 registrations were done for the camp.
- Organized Hepatitis B & C screening camp on the occasion of Hepatitis Day on 4th Dec, 2016. Total 176 registrations were done for the camp.
|Name of the course||Number of Candidates
admitted (Year 2015)
|Number of Candidates
Passed Out (Year 2015)
|PDCC course in hepato-virology||03||02|
|Name of the course||Details of Candidates|
|Short Term Training in Clinical Virology||Sonam Makhija, Amity University|