Our Mission :
“To provide safe and quality transfusion products and timely services, as well as contributing to education and research in the field of transfusion medicine so as to benefit the overall well being of the patient”.The Department of Transfusion Medicine is committed to provide the highest quality of transfusion support both in terms of diagnostic and therapeutic modes of treatment round the clock and advanced Immunohematological testing to the patients and the donors. Brief outline of the department and its role in the hospital:
- Blood donors form the backbone of any transfusion medicine service. Our aim is to increase the percentage of repeat voluntary donors who form a steady source of the safe blood. This is will help us in reducing the burden on patient’s relatives from distant places for replacement donation.
- We appreciate and encourage voluntary donors by increasing the awareness and education regarding blood donation and also honor them and register them in our endeavor to form a voluntary donor database.
- The second most important aspect is to provide safe units in terms of transfusion transmitted infections for which we have a highly sensitive screening test based on the principle of chemiluminescence to reduce the number of false negatives.
- The third important aspect is precise serological testing in patients and donors samples for which we have gel techniques, extended phenotyping and antibody screening and typing facilities which enables us to select the best match unit for the patient.
- The fourth important aspect is to provide units which meet the highest standards of quality as set by the accreditation authorities for which we have a strict and regular quality control of the products and the equipments.
- The fifth important aspect is the therapeutic mode of intervention for which we have the facility of plasma exchange and therapeutic phlebotomy. In addition to that we have transfusion medicine experts who have an active discussion with the clinicians regarding problems faced in multitransfused and transplant patients.
- The most important aspect is of hemovigilance i.e. vein to vein scrutiny of the unit collected and transfused. To serve this purpose we introduced the concept of pink sheet which maintains the transfusion record of all the patients and a transfusion follow up form which is recorded for all events of transfusion and a regular reporting and active participation in the hospital transfusion committee.
- To subserve the aforementioned aims we have a dedicated and a well trained staff who all hold patients overall well being in the highest regards and adhere strictly to SOPs (standard operating procedures) and GMP (good manufacturing practices).
Round the clock issuing of blood and blood components to patients, plateletpheresis and plasma exchange.
|Liver transplant workup||375||489|
|Transfusion Transmitted Infectious (TTI) marker done||8601||8422|
|Leucodepleted PRBC (LD-PRBC) prepared||6710||8360|
|Fresh Frozen Plasma (FFP) prepared||4292||6324|
|Random Donor Platelet Concentrate (RDPC) prepared||4618||4468|
|Leucodepleted RDPC (LD-RDPC) prepared||484||347|
|Leucodepleted SDPC (LD-SDPC) prepared||454||585|
|Cryoprecipitate (CRYO) prepared||3305||3403|
|Leucodepleted PRBC (LD-PRBC) issued||5783||7609|
|Fresh Frozen Plasma (FFP) issued||7938||10259|
|Random Donor Platelet Concentrate (RDPC) issued||4255||4158|
|Leucodepleted RDPC (LD-RDPC) issued||484||347|
|Leucodepleted SDPC (LD-SDPC) issued||449||541|
|Fresh Frozen Plasma (FFP) issued||4661||5577|
|Cryoprecipitate (CRYO) issued||3230||3340|
|ABO - i workup||8||10|
New services & facilities
- Cascade plasmapheresis
- Therapeutic platelet reduction
- Details of the Educational activities (CME/Conf/workshop) hosted by the department in 2016 under following headings:.
|Course||Candidates admitted||Candidates passed|
|PDCC in Immunohematology and BloodBanking||Dr. Vikas Hegde||Dr. Anjali Sharma|
|Dr. Akshay Batra||Dr. Vikas Hegde|
|Dr. Sukanya Baruah|
- Dr. Vikas Hegde presented an oral paper on "Prediction score in the Blood component utilization in live donor liver transplant of chronic liver disease patients: a comprehensive study" and was awarded 3rd PRIZE at TRANSMEDCON Bhopal held in November 2016.
- Dr. Vikas Hegde presented a poster on "Formula to calculate the total blood volumes to be processed during a therapeutic platelet reduction at TRANSMEDCON Bhopal held in November 2016.
- Dr. Akshay Batra presented 2 posters; titled, "Analysis of 1-year experience with plasmapheresis in patients with neurological diseases at a tertiary neurosciences center in Southern India", and "Role of low plasma volume treatment on clinical efficacy of plasmapheresis in neuromyelitis optica" at 34thCongress of International Society of Blood Transfusion (ISBT) DUBAI held in September 2016.
- Dr. Akshay Batra presented oral paper titled, "Therapeutic plasmapheresis in Guillain Barré syndrome: an experience at a tertiary neurosciences center in Southern India" at Joint Congress of American Association of Blood Bank (AABB) and Asian Association of Transfusion Medicine (AATM) Bangalore held in December 2016.
- Dr. Akshay Batra co-authored oral paper titled "Did positive anti-ACHR antibody status warrant more plasma volume treatment in patients with myasthenia gravis? An experience in plasma exchange at a tertiary neurosciences center in Southern India" at TRANSMEDCON Bhopal held in November 2016.
- Dr. Akshay Batra was invited as Guest Speaker on topic titled "Therapeutic plasma exchange in liver diseases" in pre-conference workshop on "Modern blood banking: 'A to Z' of plasmapheresis" at 57th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Hematology and Blood Transfusion (ISHBT), HEMATOCON Jaipur held in November 2016.
- Dr. Vikas and Dr. Akshay trained the blood bank staff in Immunohematology at National Institute of Biologicals Noida held in November 2016.
- Mr. Pankaj Jain was invited as a technological expert in pre-conference workshop on immunohematology at TRANSMEDCON Bhopal held in November 2016.
- Mr. Pankaj Jain presented a lecture on e-raktkosh at TRANSMEDCON Bhopal held in November 2016.