The oncology department at ILBS, within a short time span of time has established itself as a referral centre for gastrointestinal (GI) and hepato-pancreato-biliary malignancies. The oncology service at ILBS provides an evidence-based multidisciplinary diagnostic, consultative and treatment service to patients with cancer, especially with special emphasis on both upper and lower gastrointestinal malignancies, Hepato pancreatico biliary malignancies and other relatively rare tumor like GIST/GI Neuroendocrine tumors and GI lymphoma. While the treatment strategy is scientific and evidence based, it is also individualized considering patient's social, economical and emotional requirement.
The department provides screening, diagnosis and treatment for cancers affecting the digestive system, from the esophagus to the anus. The list includes esophageal cancer, gastric cancer, colorectal cancer, anal canal cancer, hepatocellular carcinoma, pancreatic cancer, gall bladder cancer, neuroendocrine tumor and GI Lymphoma to name a few. Consultation and management of other malignancies like lung cancer, breast cancer, head neck cancer, gynaecological cancer, uro-malignancy, and hematological malignancy like lymphoma are also available. In view of these large number of cancers being refeered to ILBS, the department has taken a lead in developing a hospital based cancer registry as part of the national disease informatics initiative.
|Day care Chemotherapy||942||661|
- The Oncology Department has two consultants (one each of Medical and Radiation Oncologist).
- Bed strength: Three day care beds and two indoor beds
- Duties and work load : Patient care / Research,/ Academics
New services & facilities
Added an eigth bedded chemotherapy daycare in May 2016.
The department has conducted cancer awareness programme in collaboration with NGO " Cancer Care India" on 23/8/16, 22/9/16 and 26/10/16. The topics included:
- Lung cancer awareness
- Control on preventable cancer
- Breast cancer awareness
- On going projects: Adjuvant treatment in carcinoma gall bladder patient: a multicentric randomized trial
- Initiated proposal on gall baldder cancer together with Dept of Surgery and Dept of Molecular and Cellular Medicine.
- Initaiting project on hospital based cancer registry together with the National Centre for Disease Informatics and Research (NCDIR), Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), Bengaluru .
- Dr Kumar Alagappan - MD Anderson cancer center
- Dr Prabhat Kumar Mallik - AIIMS