Dr. Devi Shetty, Narayan Hridayala
Education and Qualification
MBBS from Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
MS (General Surgery) from Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
Trained and worked as cardio thoracic surgeon under National Health Service UK at Brompton Hospital and Guys Hospital London Between 1983-1989.
Professor of International Health – University of Minnesota Medical School, USA
Professor, Rajeev Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka, Bangalore
Contribution to Cardiac surgery
- First Heart surgeon in India to perform heart surgeries on newborn babies, used Micro chip camera to close holes in the Heart.
- Pioneered operations for complex problems of the Heart like Pulmonary Endarterectomy, Redo Heart surgery, Valve Repairs in newborn Babies and Aortic Aneurysm surgeries.
Contribution to the field of Medicine
- Dr. Shetty and his team have performed over Seventy thousand major heart surgeries out of which Fifteen Thousand operations were on children, many of them new born babies.
- First team in the world to coin the term Micro Health Insurance.
- Helped Karnataka state Government to launch Yeshashwini Micro Health Insurance considered as the largest Micro Health Insurance Programme in the world.
- Arogya Raksha Yogana in association with Mrs. Kiran Majumdar Shaw of Biocon.
- First team in the world to coin the term “Health City” and in the Process of creating 5000 bed Health cities in every state capital of India
- Manages worlds largest Telemedicine Programme through Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
- Manages a chain of Rural Clinics in Karnataka and Uttar Pradesh.
- Rajyotsava Award – 2002
- Sir M. Visvesvaraya Memorial Award – 2003
- Ernst & Young – Entrepreneur of the Year – 2003
- Padmashree – 2003
- Dr. B C Roy Award – 2004
- Citizen Extraordinaire, Rotary – 2004
- India Innovation Award – 2004, By NDTV & EMPI (Awarded to Micro Health Insurance Division)
- Social Entrepreneurship Award – World Economic Forum – 2005
- “Commendation for driving affordable and quality healthcare for all 2010” - Healthcare Awards Program presented by ICICI Lombard & CNBC TV18 held on 20th Dec 2010
- Indian of the Year 2010 – Awarded by NDTV 15th February, 2011
- The University of Mysore has conferred the “Doctor of Science” (Honoris Causa) on Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty at the 91st Annual Convocation held on Sunday, the 10th April 2011.
- The Regents of the University of Minnesota, upon recommendation of the faculties, confer upon you Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty, the degree of “Doctor of Laws” honoris causa conferred on 19th April, 2011.
- In recognition of his dedication and commitment to the cardiovascular community world-wide as well as his philanthropic efforts to bring affordable medical care to numerous communities the Minnnesota Chapter awarded “The President’s Award” is bestowed on Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty on 20th April, 2011.
- Winner of “Business Process Award” for Lowering Health Care Costs by Mass Production from-The Economist Magazine. The competition is called as “The Economist Innovation Award’s 2011” on 21st October, 2011 in London.
- Padma Bhushan – 2012 (Third Highest Civilian Award conferred by the Government of India)
Dr. Shetty and his team have a mission to make healthcare affordable to the masses living in third world countries.