Dr. Savneet Kaur obtained her PhD in Biochemistry from Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (IGIB), New Delhi in 2006. Thereafter, she pursued DBT postdoctoral fellowship at Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST), Kerala from 2006-2009. After her postdoctoral studies, she worked as a CSIR pool scientist the Department of Gastroenterology, GB Pant Hospital, New Delhi from 2009-2010. Thereafter, she worked as an Assistant Professor in the School of Biotechnology, Gautam Buddha University, Greater Noida from 2010-2017. She has specialization in clinical immunology, stem cell biology and angiogenesis. Her postdoctoral studies aimed at developing a cell and gene- based angiogenic therapy using bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs) and a cardio-protective gene, eNOS for ischemic diseases. Her studies in patients with cardiovascular disease and experimental models of hind limb ischemia have shown that nitric oxide improves the angiogenic properties of EPCs, including proliferation, migration and integration into vessels both in vitro and in vivo, respectively. Since last few years, her efforts are focused to investigate the role of EPC-mediated angiogenesis in liver physiology and pathophysiology. Her study for the first time has documented a paracrine role of BM-derived circulating EPCs in intrahepatic angiogenesis in cirrhosis. Results illustrate that in comparison to control subjects, EPCs from cirrhotic patients secrete higher levels of angiogenic factors, VEGF and PDGF, which stimulate substantial tube formation by liver endothelial cells (ECs) in vitro. Recent in vivo studies in animal models of chemical-induced liver injury also show that bone-marrow derived EPCs migrate to the liver and produce a variety of proangiogenic cytokines and growth factors, promoting proliferation and migration of pre-existing residential liver ECs, activating angiogenesis, and contributing indirectly to liver vascular regeneration. Ongoing studies are investigating in depth relationships between fibrosis and angiogenesis in chronic liver diseases. Future efforts are directed towards the development of novel neo-angiogenesis and vascularization strategies for development of bioartificial liver.
1. Goyal Award, M.Sc toppers, Kurukshetra University, 2001.
2. Junior and Senior Research Fellowship, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, India, Jan 2002-Dec 2005.
3. Postdoctoral fellowship, Department of Biotechnology, India, July 2006-June 2009.
4. International Travel Award, Indian National Science Academy and Department of Science and Technology, to attend the 35th Annual Scandinavian Society for Immunology, June 2004, Aarhus, Denmark.
5. International Travel Fellowship, Poster presentation at the 18th FAOBMB symposium, Nov 2005, Lahore, Pakistan.
6. Best poster award, 7th Indo-US workshop organized by Indo-US forum at Trivandrum, Kerala, India, Feb 2007 in Kerala, India.
7. International Travel Award by Department of Science and Technology, India for poster presentation at the 2008 Meeting of International Society for Heart Research, Cell to Bedside, June 2008, Cincinnati, Ohio.
8. Young Investigator Travel, Award by American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases for presentation at AASLD conference, Oct 2010, Boston, USA.
9. DST Travel Award, to present at the 64th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases at Washington, DC, from 1st Nov - 5th Nov, 2013.
10. Best poster award, 16th Indo-US Flow Cytometry Workshop held at ILBS, New Delhi from 27th-28th Oct, 2014.
11. ICMR Travel Award, to present at the 67th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases at Boston, MA, from 11th Nov - 15th Nov, 2016.
12. Second Best Poster Award, DSUMP 2017 held at School of Biotechnology, Gautam Buddha University, from 10th-11th Jan, 2017.
13. SERB Travel Award, to present at ‘The Liver Sinusoid Meeting’, Sydney, 4th to 7th Sept, 2019.
- Total Number of publications of that faculty member: 42
- Total Number of publications in 2018: 3
- Total no. of ongoing projects
- Taruna Madan, Savneet Kaur, Shweta Saxena, Mamta Singh, Uday Kishore, Steffen Thiel, Kenneth B. M. Reid, P. Usha Sarma. Role of collectins in innate immunity against aspergillosis. Medical Mycology, 2005; 43 Suppl 1: S155-63.
- Savneet Kaur, Vijay Kumar Gupta, Ashok Shah, Steffen Thiel, P.UshaSarma, Taruna Madan. Plasma MBL Levels and activity are elevated in allergic patientsJournal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 2005; 116: 1381-3.
- Savneet Kaur, Vijay Kumar Gupta, Ashok Shah, Steffen Thiel, P.UshaSarma, Taruna Madan. Elevated levels of mannan-binding lectin (MBL) and eosinophilia in patients of bronchial asthma with allergic rhinitis and allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis associate with a novel intronic polymorphism in MBL. Clinical and Experimental Immunology, 2005; 143: 414-9.
- Savneet Kaur, Steffen Thiel, P.UshaSarma, Taruna Madan. Mannan-binding lectin in asthma and allergy. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep., 2006; 6: 377-83.
- G Suman Latha, V. Vijayalakshmi, B. Anuradha, V. Hari Sai Priya, Savneet Kaur, M. Vaid, T. Madan, P. U. Sarma, and K. J. R. Murthy. "Screening of MBL and SP-D Genes in Indian Population for SNPs and Their Association with Atopic Asthma." International Journal of Human Genetics, 2006, 6:229.
- Mudit Vaid, Savneet Kaur, Helen Sambatakou, Taruna Madan, David W Denning, P. Usha Sarma. Association of SP-D, MBL and I-NOS genetic variants with pulmonary tuberculosis. (Clinical report) Indian Journal of Human Genetics, 2006; 12: 105-10.
- Savneet Kaur, Vijay Kumar Gupta, Steffen Thiel, P.UshaSarma, Taruna Madan. Protective role of mannan-bindinglectinin a murine model of invasive pulmonary aspergillosis, Clinical and Experimental Immunology, 2007; 148: 382-9.
- Savneet Kaur, K Jayakumar, CC Kartha. The potential of circulating endothelial progenitor cells to form colonies is inversely proportional to total vascular risk score in patients with coronary artery disease. Indian Heart J., 2007; 59: 475-481.
- Savneet Kaur, SR Panicker, T James, P Sarma, KR Thankappan, CC Kartha Association of Monocyte Chemoattractant Protein-1 –2518 Promoter Polymorphism and Serum Levels with Metabolic Syndrome in A South Indian Population. Metabolic Syndrome and Related disorders, 2009;7:193-8.
- .Savneet Kaur, VS Harikrishnan, S Shenoy, NS Radhakrishnan, A Uruno, A Sugawara, CC Kartha. Genetic engineering of endothelial progenitor cells with endothelial nitric oxide synthase improves angiogenesis in rabbits with hindlimb ischemia. J Clinic Experiment Cardiol., 2:140. doi:10.4172/2155-9880.1000140.
- Savneet Kaur and Barkha Singhal. When nano meets stem: the impact of nanotechnology in stem cell biology. J BiosciBioeng., 2012;113:1-4
- Savneet Kaur, Ketki V. Dongre, Dinesh M. Tripath, Vishal Garg, SheetalnathRooge, Puja Sakhuja, AsokMukopadhyay, Shiv K. Sarin. Increased numbers and functions of circulating endothelial progenitor cells enhance angiogenesis in chronic liver diseases through paracrine factors. J. Hepatol., 2012;57:1193-8.
- Savneet Kaur and Shweta Singh. Biofilm formation by Aspergillus fumigatus. Med. Myc., 2014;52:2-9.
- Savneet Kaur and PreetyBajwa. A tete-e-tete between cancer stem cells and endothelial progenitor cells in tumor angiogenesis. Clin. Trans. Oncol., 2014;16:115-21.
- Savneet Kaur and K. Anita. Angiogenesis in liver regeneration and fibrosis: A double-edged sword. Hep Int., 2014:7:959-968.
- Deepti Vyas, SkandGupt, Vaibhav Dixit, Anita K and Savneet Kaur. To study the effect of curcumin on the growth properties of circulating endothelial progenitor cells. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim., 2015:51:488-494.
- M Singh, L Mahajan, N Chaudhary N, Savneet Kaur, T Madan and PU Sarma. Murine models of Aspergillosis: Role of collectins in host defense. Indian J Exp Biol. 2015;53:691-700.
- Manali Garg, Savneet Kaur, Arpita Banik, Vikash Kumar, Shiv K. Sarin, Asok Mukhopadhyay, NirupmaTrehanpati. Bone Marrow Endothelial Progenitor Cells Activate Hepatic Stellate Cells And Aggravate Carbon Tetrachloride Induced Liver Fibrosis in Mice via Paracrine Factors. Cell Proliferation. 2017;50.
- UpasanaRishiraj, SumatiRohilla, Savneet Kaur. Correlation between intron 4 polymorphism of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene and cardiovascular risk with the numbers of circulating endothelial progenitor cells in healthy subjects. Indian J Biochem., 2017; 1-6.
- Nigam N, Bihari C, Lal D, Rastogi A, Kumar S, Pamecha V, Savneet Kaur, Kumar A,Sarin SK. Donor CD163 and nestin-positive cells predict graft function in living donor liver transplant. Clin Transplant. 2018;32:e13197.
- Savneet Kaur, Sehgal R, Shastry SM, G McCaughan, HM McGuire, BM Fazekas St de Groth, S Sarin, N Trehanpati, D Seth. Circulating Endothelial Progenitor Cells Present an Inflammatory Phenotype and Function in Patients With Alcoholic Liver Cirrhosis. Front Physiol 2018; 9:556. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2018.00556.
- Kaur I, Rawal P, Rohilla S, Bhat MH, Sharma P, Siddiqui H, Savneet Kaur. Endothelial progenitor cells from aged subjects display decreased expression of Sirtuin 1, angiogenic functions and increased senescence. Cell Biol Int. 2018;doi: 10.1002/cbin.10999.
- Hamda Siddiqui, Preety Rawal and Savneet Kaur. Paracrine Interactions of Hepatoma Cells with Endothelial Cell and Fibroblastic Cells. Int. J. Pure App. Biosci. 2018; 6: 1695-1699.
- Rawal P, Siddiqui H, Bhat MH, Choudhary MC, Tripathi DM, Nain V, Trehanapati N, Savneet Kaur. Endothelial cell-derived TGF-β Promotes Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition via CD133 in HBx-infected Hepatoma cells. Front Oncol. 2019;9:308. doi: 10.3389/fonc.2019.00308.
- Savneet Kaur, Preety Rawal, Hamda Siddiqui, SumatiRohilla, Shvetank Sharma,Dinesh M Tripathi, SukritiBaweja, Mohsin Hassan, Sebastian Vlaic, Reinhard Guthke, Maria Thomas, Rania Dayoub, Chaggan Bihari, Shiv K Sarin and Thomas S. Weiss. Increased expression of RUNX1 in Liver Correlates with NASH Activity Score in Patients with Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH). Cells,2019; 8. doi: 10.3390/cells8101277.
- Rashi Sehgal, Savneet Kaur, Saggere Murli Shasthry, Tanvi Agrawal, Varsha Dwivedi, Devanshi Seth, Gayatri Ramakrishna, Shiv Kumar Sarin and NirupmaTrehanpati. Natural Killer Cells Contribute to Pathogenesis of Severe Alcoholic Hepatitis by Inducing Lysis of Endothelial Progenitor Cells. Alcoholism: clinical and experimental research. 2019;doi: 10.1111/acer.14242.
- Hamda Siddiqui, Preety Rawal, Naveen Arora, Chaggan Bihari, SavneetKaur.Vascular endothelial growth factor promotes proliferation of EpCAM-positive cells in non-alcoholic alcoholic steatohepatitis. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology. 2019; doi: 10.1016/j.jceh.2019.11.011.
- Savneet Kaur, Dinesh M.Tripathi, JayaramaReddyVenugopal, Seeram Ramakrishna. Advances in biomaterials for hepatic tissue engineering. Current Opinion in Biomedical Engineering. 2020; 13, 190-196.
- Dinesh Mani Tripathi,Mohsin Hassan, HamdaSidiqqui, Impreet Kaur, Preety Rawal, Chaggan Bihari, Savneet Kaur and Shiv K Sarin. Cirrhotic Endothelial Progenitor Cells Enhance Liver Angiogenesis and Fibrosis and Aggravate Portal Hypertension in Bile Duct-Ligated Cirrhotic Rats. Front Physiol. 2020. 11: 617.
- Savneet Kaur, Dinesh M Tripathi, Angeera Yadav. The Enigma of Endothelium in COVID-19. Front Physiol.2020; 11: 989.
- Savneet Kaur, Dinesh M Triparthi, Sourabh Ghosh. Three-dimensional bioprintedhepatorganoids in liver failure. GUT. 2020; 322317.
- Kailash Kolhe, Dinesh M Triparthi, Savneet Kaur Management of Portopulmonary hypertension: What is more important: PAH severity or liver disease severity? J Hepatology, 2020; 20:30473-6.
- SumatiRohilla, Ankita Awasthi, Savneet Kaur, Rekha Puria. Evolutionary conservation of long non-coding RNAs in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Life Sciences. 2020;118560
- Preety Rawal, Dinesh M. Tripathi, Seeram Ramakrishna, Savneet Kaur. Prospects for 3D bioprinting of organoids. Bio-Design and Manufacturing. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42242-020-00124-1.
- Savneet Kaur, Impreet Kaur, Preety Rawal, Dinesh M Tripathi, Ashwini Vasudevan. Non-matrigel scaffolds for organoid cultures. Cancer Lett. 2021;504:58-66. doi: 10.1016/j.canlet.2021.01.025.
- Savneet Kaur and CC Kartha. Stem Cells: Concepts and Prospects. Current trends in Science. Platinum Jubilee Special, Indian Academy of Sciences. 2009: 438-452.
- Savneet Kaur, Kavita Kale, Taruna Madan. Mechanisms of Pathogenesis of Aspergillosis. In Microbial Pathogenesis: Infection and Immunity. Ed. Uday Kishore and Annapurna Nayak. Springer. 2014.
- Savneet Kaur and UpasanaRishiraj. 2015. Nanotechnology and Cardiovascular Tissue Engineering. In Hossein Baharvand ed. Stem Cell Nanoengineering. Wiley-Blackwell. Pg. 285.
- Savneet Kaur, Impreet Kaur, and CC Kartha.
The Emerging role of Cardiac Stem Cells in Cardiac Regeneration. In Tarun Pandey Ed. Imaging in Stem Cell Transplant and Cell-based therapy. Springer. 2017. Pg. 101
- Savneet Kaur, P.UshaSarma and Taruna Madan. A method of use of purified rMBL in treatment against invasive pulmonary aspergillosis (European Patent Granted. No. EP1833502 B1).
- Savneet Kaur, Dinesh M Tripathi, Subham Banerjee, VGM Naidu, Nanoengineered VEGF-C Molecule Formulation for Cirrhosis and Portal Hypertension (Indian Patent File. App No. 202011049544).