Dr Sherin S.Thomas is a Consultant in the department of Biochemistry since 2013.She has done her M.B.B.S in 1994 from Maulana Azad Medical College and M.D. in Biochemistry in 2001 from V.P Chest Institute , New Delhi . She is a merit scholar of the Delhi government during M.B.B.S. She has 14 years of experience in the field of biochemistry .
She has been instrumental in introducing new tests like basic and comprehensive metabolic panel, serum bicarbonate ,serum pleural albumin gradient ,serum copper ,serum and urine cortisol , ACE, allergy profile and chronic inflammatory bowel disease IF profile , validation of new tests(ongoing) like anti-TPO,cancer markers(β-HCG,β2-microglobulin,CA-242,CA-72-4,NSE,S-100),cardiac markers(Troponin I,NT-proBNP),aldosterone and ACTH, automation of TNF alpha , initiation of EQAS programme for endocrinology and oncology tests , preparation of SOPs for NABL , upgradation of biochemistry laboratory testing and reporting of OPD reports to paperless system and bidirectional interfacing of chemistry analyzer in ILBS .She has also reduced expenditures in the biochemistry lab resulting in cost savings to ILBS and reduced out sourcing of tests thereby increasing revenue .
She has 14 publications and has presented her work in national conferences and been selected for poster presentation in international conferences and organized national conferences and seminars . She has been the principal investigator in a project on the determination of Multiples of Median for Down Syndrome in pregnant women in the Indian population . Currently,she is co- investigator in a research project and co- supervisor in DM ( Hepatology ) thesis at ILBS .She has recently contributed to a short case summary on methyl prednisolone allergy in a liver transplant patient .
Two post graduate students have been trained in short term projects on autoimmune hepatitis and therapeutic drug monitoring this year.Senior Resident, under her guidance has topped the entrance exam for PhD in Biomedical sciences and joined the course from January 1,2015.
- Head- Dept. of Biochemistry, 2009 - 2013 : Apollo Hospitals, 21Greams Lane, Chennai 600006
- In-charge - Dept. of Laboratory Medicine, July 2009- October 2009 : Primus Super Specialty Hospital, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 11002. Reported directly to the CEO on all laboratories, quality control, accreditation matters.
- Attending Consultant - Dept. of Biochemistry, 2004- 2009
Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre Ltd., New Delhi, India
- Conducted research on LDL subfractions & carotid intima media thickness in metabolic syndrome, acute coronary syndromes and coronary artery disease, inflammatory markers & oxidized LDL in CAD, Aflatoxin B1 induced genotoxicity and anaemia in pregnancy.
- Senior Resident - Dept. of Biochemistry, 2001- 2004 : Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, India
- Junior Resident - Medical Oncology Unit, 1996 - 1997 : All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Resident House Officer - Dept. of Medicine, 1995 : Holy Family Hospital, New Delhi, India
Previously was the Joint Secretary of Delhi Chapter of Association of Clinical Biochemists of India (ACBI).
Joint Organizing Secretary of the Annual Conference of ACBI -ACBICON 2007.
Well-versed in various biomedical techniques ( ELISA, PCR, plasmid isolation, chromatography , electrophoresis, lymphocyte culture, microbial culture) and use of various instruments like Lipid Subfractionator, Flowcytometer/ Cell sorter, Automated electro chemiluminescent analyzer, Automated ELISA analyzer, Autoanalyzer, Densitometer, etc.
- Pregnancy & maternal screening for markers of fetal defects ( Down syndrome ).
- Evaluation of serum oxalate in hyperoxalurias/renal diseases.
- Study on urinary N-GAL in acute kidney injury patients in critical care areas
- Cardiology: Molecular mechanisms of dyslipidemia, lipoprotein metabolism and carotid intima – media thickness, hyperlipidemia in insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, acute coronary syndromes, coronary artery disease, atherosclerosis- lipoprotein fractionation, metabolic biomarkers, immunoassay testing, cytokines, oxidized LDL cholesterol, procalcitonin, cell adhesion molecules, apolipoproteins, BNP and NT-proBNP
- Cancer biology: Cell cycle mechanisms, mechanism of action of chemotherapeutic drugs and tumor marker
- Name of the conf./course/training/workshop attended (2018):
1. STAT COURSES-2018(1st)-Workshop on Advance methods in Biostatistics and Hands on Practice on Medical Data Using SPSS Software,24-26th May,2018,ILBS.
2. International Symposium-Turning Science into Caring2018:Elevating the Standard of Care(Abbott in partnership with International Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine(IFCC) and the Asia-Pacific for Clinical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine(APFCB) from 18-19th August,2018 in Bengaluru.
3.DXC 700 AU Launch Oct.29,2018(Beckman Coulter),New Delhi.
4.Training on LC-MS provided by Thermofischer and AB Sciex,Nov.-Dec.2018,New Delhi.
5.Third National Hands-on-Workshop on Advanced Bio-Analytical Techniques: From Method Development to Data Interpretation 17th-19th Dec.2018 at AIIMS,New Delhi.
- Selected for poster presentation entitled “Low density lipoprotein ( LDL ) subfractions in Indians” on October 14-20, 2007 at a Conference of the Asia-Pacific Congress of Clinical Chemistry at Beijing, China.
- Selected for poster presentation entitled “Low density lipoprotein ( LDL) subfractions in Indians” on June 4,2007 at EUROMEDLAB 2007 at Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Presented poster entitled “Inflammatory markers in coronary artery disease” at an International Conference on Antioxidants & Free Radicals in Health–Nutrition & Radioprotectors at Bangalore ( January 12, 2005). Abstract no.P-192, pp 164 in the Proceedings of the conference
- “LDL subfractions in Indians” February 22, 2007 at Goa Medical College, Goa.
- “LDL subfractions in Indians” November 26, 2006 at 33rd ACBICON,2006 at AFMC, Pune
- Contributed to oral presentation-“Serum apolipoproteins A-I,A-II,B,C-II,C-III,E and Total Antioxidant Status in angiographically proved CAD cases” at an International Conference at Bangalore ( January 12,2005 ). Abstract
no.OL-30, pp 76 in the Proceedings of the conference.
Total Number of Projects in which P1 in 2013----------------1
Project name: Determination of Multiples of Median for Down Syndrome in pregnant women in the Indian population.
Funding agency:Beckman & Coulter Inc.,USA