Dr. Savneet Kaur obtained her PhD in Biochemistry from Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (IGIB), New Delhi in 2006. Thereafter, she pursued DBT postdoctoral fellowship at Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST), Kerala from 2006-2009. After her postdoctoral studies, she worked as a CSIR pool scientist the Department of Gastroenterology, GB Pant Hospital, New Delhi from 2009-2010. Thereafter, she worked as an Assistant Professor in the School of Biotechnology, Gautam Buddha University, Greater Noida from 2010-2017. She has specialization in clinical immunology, stem cell biology and angiogenesis. Her postdoctoral studies aimed at developing a cell and gene- based angiogenic therapy using bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs) and a cardio-protective gene, eNOS for ischemic diseases. Her studies in patients with cardiovascular disease and experimental models of hind limb ischemia have shown that nitric oxide improves the angiogenic properties of EPCs, including proliferation, migration and integration into vessels both in vitro and in vivo, respectively. Since last few years, her efforts are focused to investigate the role of EPC-mediated angiogenesis in liver physiology and pathophysiology. Her study for the first time has documented a paracrine role of BM-derived circulating EPCs in intrahepatic angiogenesis in cirrhosis. Results illustrate that in comparison to control subjects, EPCs from cirrhotic patients secrete higher levels of angiogenic factors, VEGF and PDGF, which stimulate substantial tube formation by liver endothelial cells (ECs) in vitro. Recent in vivo studies in animal models of chemical-induced liver injury also show that bone-marrow derived EPCs migrate to the liver and produce a variety of proangiogenic cytokines and growth factors, promoting proliferation and migration of pre-existing residential liver ECs, activating angiogenesis, and contributing indirectly to liver vascular regeneration. Ongoing studies are investigating in depth relationships between fibrosis and angiogenesis in chronic liver diseases. Future efforts are directed towards the development of novel neo-angiogenesis and vascularization strategies for development of bioartificial liver.
- Goyal Award, M.Sc toppers, Kurukshetra University, 2001.
- Junior and Senior Research Fellowship, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, India, Jan 2002-Dec 2005.
- Postdoctoral fellowship, Department of Biotechnology, India, July 2006-June 2009.
- Best poster award, 7th Indo-US workshop organized by Indo-US forum at Trivandrum, Kerala, India, Feb 2007 in Kerala, India.
- Young Investigator Travel Award by American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases for presentation at AASLD conference, Oct 2010, Boston, USA.
- Best poster award, 16th Indo-US Flow Cytometry Workshop held at ILBS, New Delhi from 27th-28th Oct, 2014.
- Second Best Poster Award, DSUMP 2017 held at School of Biotechnology, Gautam Buddha University, from 10th-11th Jan, 2017.
- Total Number of publications of that faculty member: 29
- Total Number of publications in 2018: 3
- Total no. of ongoing projects 1
- Taruna Madan, Savneet Kaur, Shweta Saxena, Mamta Singh, Uday Kishore, Steffen Thiel, Kenneth B. M. Reid, P. Usha Sarma. Role of collectins in innate immunity against aspergillosis. Medical Mycology, 2005; 43 Suppl 1: S155-63.
- Savneet Kaur, Vijay Kumar Gupta, Ashok Shah, Steffen Thiel, P.Usha Sarma, Taruna Madan. Plasma MBL Levels and activity are elevated in allergic patients Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 2005; 116: 1381-3.
- Savneet Kaur, Vijay Kumar Gupta, Ashok Shah, Steffen Thiel, P.Usha Sarma, Taruna Madan. Elevated levels of mannan-binding lectin (MBL) and eosinophilia in patients of bronchial asthma with allergic rhinitis and allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis associate with a novel intronic polymorphism in MBL. Clinical and Experimental Immunology, 2005; 143: 414-9.
- G Suman Latha, V. Vijayalakshmi, B. Anuradha, V. Hari Sai Priya, Savneet Kaur, M. Vaid, T. Madan, P. U. Sarma, and K. J. R. Murthy. "Screening of MBL and SP-D Genes in Indian Population for SNPs and Their Association with Atopic Asthma." International Journal of Human Genetics, 2006, 6:229.
- Mudit Vaid, Savneet Kaur, Helen Sambatakou, Taruna Madan, David W Denning, P. Usha Sarma. Association of SP-D, MBL and I-NOS genetic variants with pulmonary tuberculosis. (Clinical report) Indian Journal of Human Genetics, 2006; 12: 105-10.
- Savneet Kaur, Vijay Kumar Gupta, Steffen Thiel, P.Usha Sarma, Taruna Madan. Protective role of mannan-binding lectin in a murine model of invasive pulmonary aspergillosis, Clinical and Experimental Immunology, 2007; 148: 382-9.
- Mudit Vaid, Savneet Kaur, Helen Sambatakou, Taruna Madan, David W Denning, P. Usha Sarma. Distinct alleles of mannose-binding lectin (MBL) and surfactant proteins A (SP-A) in patients with chronic cavitary pulmonary aspergillosis and allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis. Clin Chem Lab Med., 2007; 45:183-6.
- Savneet Kaur, K Jayakumar, CC Kartha. The potential of circulating endothelial progenitor cells to form colonies is inversely proportional to total vascular risk score in patients with coronary artery disease. Indian Heart J., 2007; 59: 475-481.
- Savneet Kaur, SR Panicker, T James, P Sarma, KR Thankappan, CC Kartha Association of Monocyte Chemoattractant Protein-1 –2518 Promoter Polymorphism and Serum Levels with Metabolic Syndrome in A South Indian Population. Metabolic Syndrome and Related disorders, 2009;7:193-8.
- Savneet Kaur, TR Santhosh Kumar, Akira Uruno, Akira Sugawara, Karunakaran Jayakumar, Chandrasekharan C Kartha. Genetic engineering with endothelial nitric oxide synthase improves functional properties of endothelial progenitor cells from patients with coronary artery disease: an in vitro study. Basic Res Cardiol., 2009;104:739-49.
- Savneet Kaur, VS Harikrishnan, S Shenoy, NS Radhakrishnan, A Uruno, A Sugawara, CC Kartha. Genetic engineering of endothelial progenitor cells with endothelial nitric oxide synthase improves angiogenesis in rabbits with hindlimb ischemia. J Clinic Experiment Cardiol., 2:140. doi:10.4172/2155-9880.1000140
- Savneet Kaur, Ketki V. Dongre, Dinesh M. Tripath, Vishal Garg, Sheetalnath Rooge, Puja Sakhuja, Asok Mukopadhyay, Shiv K. Sarin. Increased numbers and functions of circulating endothelial progenitor cells enhance angiogenesis in chronic liver diseases through paracrine factors. J. Hepatol., 2012;57:1193-8.
- Deepti Vyas, Skand Gupt, Vaibhav Dixit, Anita K and Savneet Kaur. To study the effect of curcumin on the growth properties of circulating endothelial progenitor cells. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim., 20152015:51:488-494.
- Manali Garg, Savneet Kaur, Arpita Banik, Vikash Kumar, Shiv K. Sarin, Asok Mukhopadhyay, Nirupma Trehanpati. Bone Marrow Endothelial Progenitor Cells Activate Hepatic Stellate Cells And Aggravate Carbon Tetrachloride Induced Liver Fibrosis in Mice via Paracrine Factors. Cell Proliferation. 2017;50.
- Upasana Rishiraj, Sumati Rohilla, Savneet Kaur. Correlation between intron 4 polymorphism of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene and cardiovascular risk with the numbers of circulating endothelial progenitor cells in healthy subjects. Indian J Biochem., 2017; 1-6.
- Savneet Kaur, Steffen Thiel, P.Usha Sarma, Taruna Madan. Mannan-binding lectin in asthma and allergy. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep., 2006; 6: 377-83.
- Savneet Kaur, H Siddiqui, MH Bhat. Hepatic Progenitor Cells in Action: Liver Regeneration or Fibrosis? Am J Pathol. 2015 Sep;185(9):2342-50.
- M Singh, L Mahajan, N Chaudhary N, Savneet Kaur, T Madan and PU Sarma. Murine models of Aspergillosis: Role of collectins in host defense. Indian J Exp Biol. 2015 Nov;53(11):691-700.
- Savneet Kaur and Preety Bajwa. A tete-e-tete between cancer stem cells and endothelial progenitor cells in tumor angiogenesis. Clin. Trans. Oncol., 2014;16:115-21.
- Savneet Kaur and K. Anita. Angiogenesis in liver regeneration and fibrosis: A double-edged sword. Hep Int., 2014:7:959-968.
- Savneet Kaur and Shweta Singh. Biofilm formation by Aspergillus fumigates. Med. Myc., 2014;52:2-9.
- Savneet Kaur and Barkha Singhal. When nano meets stem: the impact of nanotechnology in stem cell biology. J Biosci Bioeng., 2012;113:1-4
- Savneet Kaur and CC Kartha. Stem Cells: Concepts and Prospects. Current trends in Science. Platinum Jubilee Special, Indian Academy of Sciences. 2009: 438-452.
- Savneet Kaur, Kavita Kale, Taruna Madan. Mechanisms of Pathogenesis of Aspergillosis. In Microbial Pathogenesis: Infection and Immunity. Ed. Uday Kishore and Annapurna Nayak. Springer. 2014.
- Savneet Kaur and Upasana Rishiraj. 2015. Nanotechnology and Cardiovascular Tissue Engineering. In Hossein Baharvand ed. Stem Cell Nanoengineering. Wiley-Blackwell. Pg. 285.
- Savneet Kaur, Impreet Kaur, and CC Kartha. The Emerging role of Cardiac Stem Cells in Cardiac Regeneration. In Tarun Pandey Ed. Imaging in Stem Cell Transplant and Cell-based therapy. Springer. 2017. Pg. 101.