Dr. Jaya Benjamin did her B.Sc. in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics and M.Sc. (Gold Medallist) in Foods and Nutrition from the Mahrishi Dayanand Saraswati University, Ajmer, Rajasthan. She did her Ph.D. from the department of Gastroenterology and Human Nutrition at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and continued to work there as a Senior Research Officer. She joined the department of Clinical Nutrition, ILBS in 2013. She has keen interest in nutrition related clinical research, has attended many workshops and presented papers and won awards at numerous national and international conferences. She is the reviewer of reputed national and international journals and also the Principal Investigator of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) funded extramural project.
Invited Lectures in 2017
- Nutritional Management of a Cirrhotic on RRT at First National Conference on Critical Care and Infections in Liver Disease, 24-26 January 2017 at Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi
- Nutritional Management in Chronic Liver Disease- ILBS-ECHO (Extension for Community Healthcare Outcomes) Program on 17.1.17 at Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi.
- Assessment and Nutritional approaches to Sarcopenia in cirrhosis at ILBS-CRI Symposium (Centre for Research in Inflammation) France on 29-30th March, 2017 at ILBS New Delhi.
- Panel discussion on Role of Probiotics in Liver Transplantation at Symposium on Probiotics in Practice organized by IDA, Delhi Chapter, 11th November, 2017.
- Nutritional Optimization Prior to Liver Transplantation at 50th National Conference of the Indian Dietetic Association, 18-20th December, 2017, Science City, Kolkata.
Name of the conf./course/training/workshop attended (2018):
- Gastro Intensive care CME and Workshop of Indian Society of Critical Care Medicine (ISCCM), on 21st January, 2018, Kolkata.
- APASL 2018, 27th Annual Conference of the Asian Pacific Association of the Study of the Liver “Hepatology the Next Genre” 14-18th March, 2018. New Delhi,
- Workshop on GI Nutrition, MedantaMedicityon 24th March 2018, New Delhi,
- National Workshop on patients undergoing Liver transplantation- A nursing Update on 10-11th May 2018, ILBS, New Delhi.
- International Bariatric Nutrition Workshop Jointly organized by IDA and Surgical Centre for Obesity and Diabetes on 19th May, 2018 New Delhi.
- 2nd National Conference of the Indian Society of Clinical Nutrition: Aug 31stâÂÂSep 2nd, 2018, AIIMS, New Delhi.
- 51st Annual National Conference of Indian Dietetic Association, 30st Sep-2nd Oct, 2018, Indore.
- 22nd World Congress of Clinical Nutrition, 20th -22nd November, 2018, Ahmedabad.
- The Nutrition Society of India (NSI) Meeting, 18th December, 2018, Mumbai.
Total Number of publications (till date): 16
Total Number of publications in 2018: 1
List of ongoing Projects (2018): 1(PI of ICMR funded project)- “Characterization of body composition in patients with NAFLD and its association with the known risk factors in lean andobese NAFLD”
Total Number of publications in 2017: 3
Total Number of Projects: 1
- Member of Editorial Board of International Journal of Food and Nutrition (IJFN) ï‚Ÿ Assistant Secretary of ISCN (Indian Society of Clinical Nutrition) from 2010 till date.
- Paper accepted at AASLD, San Francisco, California 2015; Shasthry Varsha,Benjamin Jaya, Kalal Chetan, Anand Lovkesh, Pandit Vanshja, Bharadwaj Ankit, Arora Ankur, S Rajesh, Pamecha Vinayendra, Jain Vikas, Kumar Guresh, Puri Puneet, Joshi Yogendra Kumar, Sarin Shiv Kumar “Sarcopenia and adipopenia set in with cirrhotic decompensation in patients with alcoholic liver disease.”
- Paper accepted at EASL, Austria, 2015; A. S. Bhadoria, C. K. Kedarisetty, V.Shasthry, M. K. Sharma, J. Benjamin, G. Kumar, A. Bhardwaj, S. Muralikrishna Shasthry, T. Vyas, S. Sarin. “Association of family history of metabolic traits with age at diagnosis and severity of non alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) related cirrhosis.” Journal of Hepatology, Volume 62, Supplement 2, April 2015, Page S742.
- Paper presented at the 23rd Annual conference of INASL and CPLD 2015; Indu Arora, Jaya Benjamin, Vipin Gupta, Aashish Upadhaya, Safoora Rashid, Anoop Saraya. “Prevalence of Vitamin D Deï€ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂciency and Osteoporosis in Patients of Chronic Liver Disease According to Their Child Status.” Journal of Clinical & Experimental Hepatology June–July 2015, Volume 5, Supplement 2,S31.
- Paper accepted at APASL, Tokyo, 2016; Shasthry Varsha, Benjamin Jaya, Kalal Chetan, Guresh Kumar, Sarin Shiv Kumar, Joshi Yogendra Kumar “Bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) is in proximate agreement with the computed tomography (CT) based assessment of sarcopenia in patients with alcoholic liver disease.”
- Delivered a lecture on Protein restriction in liver disease- the vestiges of concern. At the 23rd Annual conference of INASL & CPLD 31st July-2nd August 2015, Manekshaw Centre, New Delhi, India.
- Delivered a lecture on Nutrition in Chronic Liver Disease at the 2nd conference of Family Medicine and Primary Care on 19th November 2015 at the Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi, India.
- Member of the WHO Collaborating Centre for Viral Hepatitis and Liver Diseases at ILBS, New Delhi, from 2015 till date.
- Attended the workshop on “Ketogenic Diets” by the IDA Delhi Chapter, on the 3rd-4th October, 2015, Trauma Centre, AIIMS, New Delhi.